1996-09-05 - Re: Voluntary Disclosure of True Names

Header Data

From: “Ross Wright” <rwright@adnetsol.com>
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: d7577adb0db84baa7c275000affd519134f6cd1e7fe3e4b639da0d1f1369661a
Message ID: <199609050545.WAA18030@adnetsol.adnetsol.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 16:01:57 +0800

Raw message

From: "Ross Wright" <rwright@adnetsol.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 16:01:57 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Voluntary Disclosure of True Names

On Or About:  4 Sep 96 at 21:48, Timothy C. May wrote:

> In a rare moment of lucidity Vladimir Z. Dettweiler wrote:
>
> >I think cpunks should hold the view that communication is a matter
> >of mutual consent between sender and receiver. if a receiver says,
> >"I don't want any anonymous messages", then should be able to block them.
>
> But this is precisely what nearly all of us have been arguing. Namely, that
> the issue of anonymity vs. providing of True Names, is a matter of
> _contract_ between parties, not something the government is justified in
> sticking its nose into.

I always use my true name and am happy to spread it far and wide, but
I have been doing some work for a GroupWare manufacturer.  They have
seen that even in a corporate environment where information sharing is
practised and embraced, sometimes people want to make a comment and
not take the heat for making that comment.  This can provide some
constructive input, so they have a anonymous comment feature built
in.  So you could say that it is absolutely necessary for the web
to have that feature as well.

> of some third party in providing ultimate traceability. I'm not wild about
> the U.S. Government being this third party

NO WAY, These guys are in my life enough already, and you can't trust
them anyway!!!!

Ross

Ross Wright
King Media: Bulk Sales of Software Media and Duplication Services
http://www.slip.net/~cdr/kingmedia
Voice: 415-206-9906

Thread