1996-09-14 - Re: TWA 800 - Serious thread.

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
Message Hash: e452307d1224817157308ccba25483e8a9f456b6020645978779805e4215714d
Message ID: <3239A15E.4907@gte.net>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960910190024.007245e4@pop.ricochet.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-14 04:03:31 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 12:03:31 +0800

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 12:03:31 +0800
To: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
Subject: Re: TWA 800 - Serious thread.

Greg Broiles wrote:
> At 03:30 PM 9/9/96 -0700, Dale Thorn wrote:
> If govt. protects its "sources and methods", however nefarious, to the
> extent that the public is never asked to assent to these methods (even
> though a few of us know about them anyway), then the public doesn't
> have to become overtly cynical about what's going on.

> But the public *is* asked to assent to those methods - your chance to
> vote on them is known colloquially as "jury duty".
> Greg Broiles                |"Post-rotational nystagmus was the
> subject of
> gbroiles@netbox.com         |an in-court demonstration by the People
> http://www.io.com/~gbroiles |wherein Sgt Page was spun around by Sgt
>                             |Studdard." People v. Quinn 580 NYS2d
> 818,825.

I missed a lot of this being off-line for a few days. The jury
discussion is a good one, but nowadays we have sequestering or no,
cameras in the court or no cameras, new gag rules all the time,
including books being published or even planning to be published, the
"no profit" rules for convictees (or those about to be convicted), and
don't forget the (gasp!) influential organs such as National Enquirer
who "digitally enhance" certain photos such as Nicole Simpson, Liza
Minelli, etc.

If there's a chance of ever cleaning up the justice system, would it
mean a prosecution of those who promoted the Incubator Baby scam for the
Gulf War, for example?

Thread