1996-09-22 - Re: timmy waxes a widdle on AP

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f20846ee98c0912908db3616492ed611bdc1cc59e47b151686a81f46eb098bc9
Message ID: <ZVaNuD11w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <Pine.BSF.3.91.960922003553.469D-100000@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-22 09:19:41 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 17:19:41 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 17:19:41 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: timmy waxes a widdle on AP

Rabid Wombat <wombat@mcfeely.bsfs.org> writes:
> I think it is more likely an us-vs.-them mentality, rather than the cost
> of educating the person in question. If someone much poorer than you is
> killed in a poor neighborhood, you don't feel as threatened - it is one
> of "them" - If someone of equal or greater socio-economic background
> suffers a violent death, you begin to think "it could happen to me, too."

I was reading the other day about the lessons learned from the one-time
tax refund in 1975. Most consumers realized that this is a one-time deal
and saved most of it, rather than spent it. On the other hand, after Reagan's
tax cuts the consumers spent much of their newly retained income because they
believed that the lower tax rate would continue for a few years.

Likewise once an occasional gubment official in Mexico is assassinated
often enough for the population to perceive public service as being a
hazardous profession, they'll have trouble recruiting the replacements.
Assassinations won't work as long as they're perceived by the public as
zero-probability events. The public perception depends on other factors
besides the numbers or the frequency of the hits.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM