1996-09-17 - Re: Spam blacklist project

Header Data

From: Rabid Wombat <wombat@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
To: “Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM” <dlv@bwalk.dm.com>
Message Hash: f46f5754b537792f63f4f677071d339819efcd657f2c873a2048c32fe7bc8c3a
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.91.960917124148.16319C-100000@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
Reply To: <7aLDuD77w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-17 22:33:35 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 06:33:35 +0800

Raw message

From: Rabid Wombat <wombat@mcfeely.bsfs.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 06:33:35 +0800
To: "Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM" <dlv@bwalk.dm.com>
Subject: Re: Spam blacklist project

> You haven't answered my question, Lues. If the list of e-mail addresses of
> people who DON'T want junk e-mail is made available for _free for FTP,
> together with a tool for spammers to scrub their mailing lists of these
> addresses, and an easy way for anyone to add his or her address to this
> list for _free, then how would Slaton _sell this list to anyone?

Easily. What percentage of, er, mass internet advertisers would know that
this site exists? I assume it would become a very large list, and would
make a very atractive target for someone who wanted to provide email
addresses to others for a fee.

btw - my girlfriend just wandered by, and read this over my shoulder.
She's the network operations center mgr. for a large ISP. She just got a
complaint last night from a, er, Internet Direct Mail Marketer, who
claimed that his outbound mail queue was filling up, and this was somehow
the ISP's fault that he couldn't reach certain addresses on a list he had
recently purchased. Sorta like calling the phone company and complaining
that some numbers on a telemarketing list were disconnected, or that
nobody answered :)

I'd say it's a safe bet that the unscrupulous could easily sell a large,
up-to-date list of email addresses of people who DON'T want junk email to
people who want to send such mail.

- r.w.

Thread