1996-10-20 - Re: Writing A Remailer

Header Data

From: “Michael Peponis” <mianigand@[205.164.13.10]>
To: William Davidheiser <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 00448642b7c6cd4360f14a463d00b2640004bf33fc72c5911983587472d619df
Message ID: <199610201626.JAA16368@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 09:26:47 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: "Michael Peponis" <mianigand@[205.164.13.10]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 09:26:47 -0700 (PDT)
To: William Davidheiser <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Writing A Remailer

> Hi all. I want to try to write a re-mailer that will run on my ISP's UNIX
> shell account. I am familiar with Windows socket programming (C/C++) but
> have never done anything in the UNIX environment.

Developing these things is actually eaiser to do in UNIX than
Windows.

I guess it depends on where you wish to being.  Do you wish to write
a remailer from scratch, or do you wish to just run a remailer?

In either case, take a look at what other people have done, one site
I like is ftp.hacktic.nl, there is source for a number of remailers
there, among other things.

You could compile that, and see what you like and dislike about a
given remailer, and then adjust the code appropriatly.

Most are written in C, so if you know C, you won't have very many
problems.

One thing to note, UNIX privilages, you would want to run your
remailer as a deamon, a constantly running program(similar to a  DOS TSR
or NT Service). I am not sure if your ISP gives you enough access to
run deamons.

Good Luck

Michael Peponis

Thread