1996-10-08 - Re: challenging wiretap law

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <vznuri@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 036ecd5c3d5b07ed6fd9f8ee99883aeb0373c9f0e0e81fca8f3f63b84ee89213
Message ID: <325A63FF.7EC7@gte.net>
Reply To: <199610080136.SAA15855@netcom21.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-08 20:39:57 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 04:39:57 +0800

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 04:39:57 +0800
To: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: challenging wiretap law

Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:

[some text deleted]

> challenging these laws in the weak spots
> could be a very devastating means of
> defying law enforcement claims that they only want to "preserve
> the status quo" and want "no new authorities to wiretap". could
> wiretapping be "nipped in the bud" somehow? there is tremendous
> economic incentive for laywers to challenge things like patents
> etc, but this same incentive doesn't seem to exist in challenging
> wiretap rules. hence I wonder if they have been challenged to the
> same extent that  other court decisions have been.

[more text deleted]

Do prior comments about wholesale non-compliance on the part of the
public apply here as it did on, say, the 55-mph speed limit?

How about total non-compliance on the part of the public regarding
sex laws (those which said you couldn't do such-and-such in your own
bedroom with your partner/spouse, etc.)?

Thread