1996-10-17 - Goodbye

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0910750e8ed1ffc873b0f0cd1989f120e1df0180dcba372c2d2439dd0411cdcb
Message ID: <199610171444.HAA07281@dns1.noc.best.net>
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 07:44:12 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 07:44:12 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Goodbye

Goodbye

I am leaving cypherpunks for a while, perhaps forever.

Why should anyone handle a high volume list as a list and not
as a newsgroup?  Our tools for handling newgroups are superior
to our tools for handling mailing lists.

The reason to prefer mailing lists is that the very
inconvenience keeps out the ignorant masses.  Word initially
spreads person to person, and intelligent and highly motivated
people make most of the contributions,

Thus the glory days of cypherpunks, an insider club of the best
and brightest, far superior to the common herd, where we planned and
organized for a world where the ignorant masses can no longer
rob and harass their superiors, a world where the elite can
live the good life in freedom and comfort and abandon the
useless worthless masses to wander blindly into ruin, despair,
and slavery, lost in a world they cannot understand, and will
no longer have the power to smash.

In those days we forged the weapons and planned the strategies,
defending the net against the enemies of freedom.

But with the passage of time, we got the same half human
trash as you encounter in the newsgroups, and less satisfactory
tools to filter them.

The glory days are long past, and cannot be revived by forming
a new mailing list.

Perhaps I will see you guys on Usenet, by and by.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd@echeque.com

Thread