1996-10-02 - Re: White House crypto proposal – too little, too late

Header Data

From: Ben <ben@EdelWeb.fr>
To: John Anonymous MacDonald <nobody@cypherpunks.ca>
Message Hash: 0ea2fb545400e275b15251b0528907687ba7ee44ebf630a36574bc4efca62fc8
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.95.961002104055.14359l-100000@mercier.gctech.edelweb.fr>
Reply To: <199610020350.UAA08078@abraham.cs.berkeley.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-02 11:06:03 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 19:06:03 +0800

Raw message

From: Ben <ben@EdelWeb.fr>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 19:06:03 +0800
To: John Anonymous MacDonald <nobody@cypherpunks.ca>
Subject: Re: White House crypto proposal -- too little, too late

> I don't doubt that they can do this if they really want to, but I
> wonder what legal basis they will use for import restrictions.
>
> Are there any current import restrictions for products on can legally
> manufacture, sell, and use in the United States?

While I'd wager that this would be a violation of GATT's competition
clause, since it would favor domestic firms over foreign ones, there is a
loophole in GATT for national security that could be invoked.

Ben.
____
Paris, France                      Illudium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator

Thread