1996-10-18 - Re: [NOISE::SECURITY] Disabled ports in Navigator

Header Data

From: nobody@replay.com (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0f63e3dc99ef4a3547e5c6bb68497f12f8de472a09254db7f601235ec4278d22
Message ID: <199610181916.VAA25926@basement.replay.com>
Reply To: <3.0b36.32.19961017221127.00691b88@gateway.grumman.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-18 19:17:04 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:17:04 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: nobody@replay.com (Anonymous)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:17:04 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: [NOISE::SECURITY] Disabled ports in Navigator

Rick Osborne <osborne@gateway.grumman.com> wrote:

> I was thinking about how to fix a sendmail program for our server when the
> (most likely unoriginal) thought cam to me:  why not use your web broser as
> a telnet tool?  You could embed CRLFs into the request field and the
> receiving program would just throw the GET /[etc] out like I messed up or
> something.  I could then add subsequent logins & commands to my heart's
> content (or the string length of that particular browser's request field).
> Being behind a firewall, I tend to think of these things. The only problem
> would be with the fact that no EOL is ever sent, but with a good browser
> that displays as content is streamed, you wouldn't have to worry about that.
>
> Like I said, I doubt it's original because when I tried to do it in
> Navigator I get a
>
> Sorry, Access to the port number given has been disabled for security
> reasons.
>
> error dialog.  I got this for all of the obvious ports (21,25,110, etc).
>
> I only have 3.0 on my machine, so I don't know if it works with previous
> versions.  MSIE3 doesn't disable the ports, but it doesn't start displaying
> anything (it suffers from the stupidity of not displaying as it streams).
>
> Has anyone else personally tried this?  My original idea was to see my home
> email, with something like:
>
> http://mail.here.com:110/user%20me%0D%0Apass [... etc]
>
> Any comments, suggestions, etc?

This was discussed a bit here on the list when Netscape first did it, which
was in either v2.01 or v2.02.  At the time, I thought about writing a patch
to fix the problem, but decided there was really little purpose in trying
to talk http to sendmail, so I didn't bother.

In any event, the blocking is in netscape itself and not in the proxy
server, so you could just telnet to your proxy on port 80, and issue the
commands to connect to whereever you want.

You could also look for a program called webex, it's a cgi script which
generates html forms on the fly, allowing you to read your mail in your
web browser.

I feel I should point out that accessing your mail in an unencrypted
fashion, through a possibly untrusted proxy server is quite insecure and
not generally advisable.

Thread