1996-10-21 - Crypto Raid

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 143ed852e63ebd7e799611879c1e3322f839b40d14b83d7a5b3746bd72649c48
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19961021133801.00689b90@pop.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 06:38:37 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 06:38:37 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Crypto Raid

   In a coincidence with the Biham/Shamir smart card attack,
   AP reports October 20 on an Israeli raid of News Datacom
   Research for $150 million tax fraud, allegedly because
   locally developed crypto products were smuggled out of
   the country. News Datacom develops and markets encryption
   systems for pay-TV based on Shamir's work, and he is a
   part-owner.

   Recall that Markoff's story on DFA cited Bahim's
   experience with pirate-TV and smart-card tampering.

   FiTi ran stories last May about the company's financial
   derring-do, which we've placed with the AP report at:

      http://jya.com/keylok.txt

   We've also put the Biham/Shamir DFA post and NYT article
   at:

      http://jya.com/dfa.htm

Thread