1996-10-23 - Re: Stego via TCP/IP (was Re: crypto wish list)

Header Data

From: “Douglas B. Renner” <dougr@skypoint-gw.globelle.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1903b3e5be1f22d687f515e74bda49d72ca182ebde5d8e8484b6294d8118900f
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9610230212.A1846-0100000@skypoint-gw.globelle.com>
Reply To: <199610210018.RAA20993@dfw-ix5.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-23 04:54:01 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 21:54:01 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: "Douglas B. Renner" <dougr@skypoint-gw.globelle.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 21:54:01 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Stego via TCP/IP (was Re: crypto wish list)

> >>What are our options?
> >>- Stego in english text.
> >>- Stego in audio and graphic file formats
> >>- Stego in Internet Phone protocols.
> >>- Stego in Internet video conference formats

Stego in packet timing variations!

The ultimate NSA grep nemesis.   My gut tells me that this information is
not collected by big bro.   Of course it would be very low bandwith and
high noise...  But with higher-speed links, and the Internet of
tomorrow, these will diminish vastly in significance.

Imagine a Linux kernel patch which precisely tracks packet timings
by every originating host, and modulates the timing of return packets.  A
full-duplex, error-corrected protocol could be built on top of this
subtle exchange of information.

-Doug Renner
(Author of several industrial protocols for a previous employer)

Thread