1996-10-06 - Re: Voice Stress Analysis of Debates?

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: 20c9fa9246029c174e9557b1d600aff5cdeec063e47923b725dfa696fa88d08d
Message ID: <3257DCF0.6CC0@gte.net>
Reply To: <199610060428.VAA19939@mail.pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-06 18:18:03 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 02:18:03 +0800

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 02:18:03 +0800
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Voice Stress Analysis of Debates?

jim bell wrote:
> At 04:01 PM 10/5/96 -0400, John Young wrote:
> >CMI provides crisis management services relating to "hot"
> >threats of violence, workplace violence prevention, and
> >post-incident crisis intervention. In addition, CMI provides
> >threat of violence and crisis response training,
> >psych-claims management assistance, and SCAN analysis, which
> >is a deception detection technique.

> This reminds me...   Years ago, somebody developed a technique called
> "Voice Stress Analysis," which was supposed to detect small variations
> in a person's voice in response to stress. Not exactly a lie-detector,
> but it was supposed to do nearly the same thing.   Does anybody plan
> to analyze the debates for stress?  Is there software to do this?
> (Tried to do a web-search; didn't see anything.)

Pardon me for butting in.  Some remailer says I post too much, and I
should cut out some. They didn't say which posts I should cut out, tho'.

Anyway, as I understand it, the current technology in voice/stress
analysis goes way beyond the polygraph at its best (current) level of
technology.  There was at least one agency that did voice analysis
during the Simpson debacle, and the results were (as I recall) very
promising.  Apparently, a person who can beat a polygraph cannot beat a
voice/stress analysis.

BTW, the rule for these debates (as all presidential discourse) is:
"He's lying."
"How can you tell?"
"His lips are moving."

Thread