1996-10-06 - Re: Voice Stress Analysis of Debates?

Header Data

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: 2ccfd52fee6fd4ea2ca1419783f7a8503715e8c8db8754e4371b24b8f504a802
Message ID: <v02130501ae7d6dde06b2@[10.0.2.15]>
Raw Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 07:10:31 +0800

Raw message

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 07:10:31 +0800
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Voice Stress Analysis of Debates?

> Jim Bell <jimbell@pacifier.com> wrote:
>One thing I wonder is this:  Can the stress indications be removed from a
>voice-containing signal by some sophisticated DSP processing?  Just look for
>whatever effect that indicates stress, add it in equal and negative amounts
>to eliminate the apparent stress, etc.    It might not make sense for
>anything less "critical" than debates, but if the control of the debates is
>as monopolized as we think it is, it is reasonable to think that debate
>participants would insist on a certain level of control over the audio signal.

[snip]
>But I would still be interested to get some
>kind of quantitative feedback on the debates.  If anything, the ABSENSE of
>the news media's attempting to use voice-stress analysis is telling.

BTW, did anyone notice that some of the evening news anchors are imaged via
a camera/DSP to render as more youthful (e.g., removing facial wrinkles)?

PGP Fingerprint: FE 90 1A 95 9D EA 8D 61  81 2E CC A9 A4 4A FB A9
Snoop Daty Data           | Internet: azur@netcom.com
Grinder                   | Voice: 1-702-655-2877
Sacred Cow Meat Co.       | Fax: 1-702-658-2673
7075 W. Gowan Road, #2148 |
Las Vegas, NV 89129       |

Just say NO to prescription DRUGS.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for
 the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    -- C.S. Lewis

"Surveillence is ultimately just another form of media, and thus, potential
entertainment."
    -- G. Beato

Thread