1996-10-10 - Re: pgp, edi, s/mime

Header Data

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
To: Raph Levien <raph@cs.berkeley.edu>
Message Hash: 2faaaa02c0d3f88a4b623ab35c3960ec501902607c3c37e62a3832890a6fed6b
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9610101541.A25695-0100000@netcom6>
Reply To: <325D296E.796D3740@cs.berkeley.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-10 23:01:50 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 16:01:50 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 16:01:50 -0700 (PDT)
To: Raph Levien <raph@cs.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: pgp, edi, s/mime

On Thu, 10 Oct 1996, Raph Levien wrote:
> I think you're referring to the possibility that PGP 3.0 may use a
> public key algorithm other than RSA. However, if this is the case, it
> won't be compatible with PGP's installed base. In addition, I don't
> believe that there has been a public key encryption algorithm proposed
> which is free of patent controversy.

In about a year, ElGamal will be free from any patent burden. I have
talked with leading users of RSA who believe that the savings by
switching from RSA to ElGamal may be a powerful incentive for doing so.

However, the general feeling is that somebody, not said corporations,
would have to first set up an infrastructure that uses ElGamal.

A chicken and egg problem? Or another Cypherpunks project?

--Lucky, who'd really would like to see ElGamal in wider use.

Thread