1996-10-24 - Re: Netescrow & Remailers?

Header Data

From: Matt Blaze <mab@research.att.com>
To: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Message Hash: 318c9be0cdd8b4579c75204b8affa6475c79ec57ec50dc2fa940b2c17dae27d0
Message ID: <199610240500.BAA01796@nsa.research.att.com>
Reply To: <199610240117.UAA05092@homeport.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-24 05:03:16 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 22:03:16 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Matt Blaze <mab@research.att.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 22:03:16 -0700 (PDT)
To: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Subject: Re: Netescrow & Remailers?

Adam Shostack writes:
>Timothy C. May wrote:
>
>| I don't think "escrow" is the salient feature of what Adam is hinting at,
>| or at least it's now what I'm focussing on here. Rather, I think the really
>| intriguing thing is using _logical_ names for remailers, and not
>| necessarily tying them to specific accounts, specific account owners, or
>| specific sites. ("Call by name," if you will.) This could make remailers
>| more persistent.
>
>Netescrow is a system that Matt Blaze proposed to do key escrow such
>that the recovery of a key must be public.

Someone wrote me a while back asking about using oblivious key escrow
("netescrow") to build a remailer.  I was a bit skeptical of using
exactly the mechanism that I outlined in my paper on the subject,
but I think the idea raises some intersting avenues to look at.

I'll try to dig up the message I sent on the subject.

-matt

The paper in question, by the way, can be found at:
	ftp://research.att.com/dist/mab/netescrow.ps

Thread