1996-10-11 - Re: What are the flaws with FV payment system?

Header Data

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@nsb.fv.com>
To: kip@monroe.lib.mi.us>
Message Hash: 3a13bf7af0b576c39025a72583818581eb1d8a11070a433c5060719e178aaa35
Message ID: <MmLYS37Cz0E5EjlJMQ@nsb.fv.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.961010103809.463D-100000@monroe.lib.mi.us>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-11 13:12:21 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 06:12:21 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@nsb.fv.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 06:12:21 -0700 (PDT)
To: kip@monroe.lib.mi.us>
Subject: Re: What are the flaws with FV payment system?

Excerpts from mail: 10-Oct-96 What are the flaws with FV .. Kip
DeGraaf@monroe.lib.m (1410*)

> I only received this an hour ago.  I would very much like to attend, but
> can't put my fingers on the detailed analysis of FV's flaws in their
> system, which I would like to bring up in person at this seminar.

> Could someone please point me in the right direction?

I'm very sorry that you apparently didn't show up to discuss your
concerns; I thought the talk went quite well, with some good give and
take, but nobody really tried hard to tear apart FV's system.  Believe
it or not, that was a disappointment to me.  I always enjoy an open
debate with a spirited opponent.

FYI, the content of the talk was largely the same as the content of my
paper that appeared in the June issue of Communications of the ACM, in
the special issue on electronic commerce.  Readers of this list will be
particularly interested in the section entitled "Cryptography:  Myths
and Realities".
--------
Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@fv.com>          |  FAQ & PGP key:
Chief Scientist, First Virtual Holdings    |  nsb+faq@nsb.fv.com