1996-10-02 - Re: Signs of Trouble in D.C.

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Message Hash: 3a75704049630381c6e64f22bb4be172fc9bbce9ba0ce7834f98224c3249f57b
Message ID: <325125D4.5E4F@gte.net>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.94.961001002354.20271A-100000@polaris>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-02 07:42:58 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 15:42:58 +0800

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 15:42:58 +0800
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Subject: Re: Signs of Trouble in D.C.

Black Unicorn wrote:
> Signs of unrest in the nation's capital.
> These signs began to appear all over yesterday.
> WARNING
> THIS AREA HAS BEEN
> DECLARED A DRUG FREE ZONE
> Any person congregating in a group of 2 or more persons on
> public space within the boundaries of this drug free zone for
> the purpose of participating in the use, purchase of sale of
> illegal drugs, and who fails to disperse after being
> instructed to disperse by a uniformed member of the
> Metropolitan Police Department, is subject to arrest.  An
> arrest can result in a fine of not more than $300,
> Imprisonment for not more than 180 days or both.
> Boundaries         _________________________
> Larry D. Soulsby
> Chief of Police
> (Act 11-278, Anti-Loitering/Drug Free Zone Emergency Act of 1996)

I was in L.A. County Court in 1986, and I noticed a TV reporter in the
bleachers.  The judge gave an injunction to some neighbors that their
neighbors could not sell drugs, sleep on the lawn, etc., and it became
big news then, since nobody had ever thought of that before.

So it looks like the law is evolving....

Thread