1996-10-08 - Re: Recent Web site cracks

Header Data

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
To: pjb@ny.ubs.com
Message Hash: 404680a819fcd69eb1c806bf852b4f0ffb399fc3925c45cc089684e582c33a95
Message ID: <199610081636.MAA10912@attrh1.attrh.att.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 07:00:59 +0800

Raw message

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 07:00:59 +0800
To: pjb@ny.ubs.com
Subject: Re: Recent Web site cracks

At 09:46 AM 10/8/96 -0400, pjb@ny.ubs.com wrote:
>The recent cracks of the DOJ, CIA and Dole web sites have caused me to think
>about just what is going on here.
>
>Do you suppose that these entries were made via the httpd route, maybe via
>cgi-bin, or just a straight telnet-type entry to the server?  I don't know
>what operating systems were involved with these three systems, or even if

The DOJ and CIA sites were actually cracked; don't know the mechanisms.
The dole-kemp96.com and dole-kemp96.org domains were spoofs - they
have similar names to the real site, and people reach them by accident
or by hearing about them.  According to today's San Jose Mercury News,
the web designer who registered them did so just before Dole announced
Kemp as his VP, and tried to sell his design services to the campaign.
They didn't buy it, and the names were sitting around with nothing
better to do anyway, so he decided to have a good time with them.
Supposedly he's gotten about 40,000 hits and the "real" site got 1,000,000.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# You can get PGP outside the US at ftp.ox.ac.uk
  Imagine if three million people voted for somebody they _knew_,
  and the politicians had to count them all.

Thread