1996-10-05 - Re: NYT Nix GAK

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Message Hash: 4afcd28a30b5a3dba7eb8cf6cb1be7b3b64232d8db1716b309f886dce1f38f91
Message ID: <3255C1AA.31EC@gte.net>
Reply To: <199610041312.NAA20299@pipe2.ny3.usa.pipeline.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-05 06:26:56 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 14:26:56 +0800

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 14:26:56 +0800
To: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: NYT Nix GAK

John Young wrote:
>    The New York Times, October 4, 1996, p. A32.
>    A Flawed Encryption Policy [Editorial]

[some text deleted]

>    However, the Administration downplays the fact that
>    encryption is also a good way for honest citizens to
>    prevent crime. At a time when banks and other private
>    companies send vast amounts of confidential information
>    over the electronic highway, it would seem sensible to make
>    high-quality encryption widely available so that the
>    private sector can protect itself from criminal or
>    malicious eavesdropping. For that reason, the Government
>    ought to promote wide-scale dissemination of encryption,
>    both here and abroad.

Now, for those folks who oppose the personal ownership of firearms, or
at least "really dangerous" firearms, I'd like to know exactly what's
the difference (in principle) between the above "...high-quality
encryption widely available so that the private sector can protect
itself from criminal or...", and making firearms widely available?

Surely the NYT is not going to join the NRA equivalent of pro-personal-
crypto crackpots, anarchists, and all that?

Thread