1996-10-30 - GAS_sed

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4fc4a12dbd539a86bfc72e148d918a2c7d2818168d112bc0ef82c00355e533ed
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19961030171718.00688080@pop.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 09:18:24 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 09:18:24 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: GAS_sed

   10-30-96. NYR Page One:

   "Ex-CIA Analysts Assert Cover-Up. Contend Agency Knew of
   Risk From Chemicals in Gulf War."

      When they insisted on pursuing the inquiry over the
      protests of senior officials, their promising careers
      were effectively destroyed. Their inquiry attracted
      concern at the highest levels of the agencies, including
      DCI Deutch. Government officials who had overseen
      investigations of gulf war illnesses "are continuing to
      lie, are continuing to withhold information."

      The couple met when they were both studying at the
      agency's photo-analysis school. She was placed in a
      fellowship program that singles out fast-rising female
      employees and offers experience in other agencies of the
      Government.

      She found work on Capitol Hill in the offices of the
      Senate Banking Committee. She was assigned to interview
      the gulf veterans who were calling the committee. She
      took home one report. She handed it to her husband, with
      the announcement, "Hey, we got gassed." He decided to
      start his own unauthorized investigation on the issue,
      gathering information from within the C.I.A.

      He said he had prevailed upon friends working in other
      parts of the agency to search through computers banks.
      "We just plugged in key words dealing with chemical and
      munitions storage," he said, "and we just began to pull
      up all this cable traffic."

   -----

   http://jya.com/gassed.txt  (16 kb)

   GAS_sed