1996-10-03 - RE: The Right to Keep and Bear Crypto

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 539642ba15ff3f20a269fb93867d484a9813b853f6b21c8b7de574d74f41bb45
Message ID: <v03007803ae79b7740e1b@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <n1367779560.35309@mail.ndhm.gtegsc.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-03 22:11:54 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 06:11:54 +0800

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 06:11:54 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: The Right to Keep and Bear Crypto

At 11:39 AM -0400 10/3/96, Mullen Patrick wrote:

>However, all of this is irrelevant, because I must say, Tim May has the
>proper idea -- We may have the right to bear crypto, but the government
>has the right to limit the types/amounts of crypto we bear.

Careful! I did not say this. At least not in the form here.

>** Success in this matter is classifying crypto as speech **

This was closer to the point I actually made.

>I read somewhere (probably here) about a case which was (was destined??) to
>be a precedent for crypto as speech.  All I can remember was something about
>the code being classified as speech, or something like that.  Sorry I can't
>quite remember what it was.  Anyone have any suggestions/references?

This was Judge Patel's earlier ruling in the Bernstein matter, much
discussed here of late. But until the Supremes get the case, eventually,
and rule on it one way or another, I think it's not well-established.

--Tim May

Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.