1996-10-18 - Re: Anonymous Auth Certificates [was: Re: Blinded Identities]

Header Data

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
To: Hal Finney <hal@rain.org>
Message Hash: 5acddc1062e7205b34688183e79f354f570763e8b96a6b7bb981aea580415427
Message ID: <v02130503ae8c25d431bc@[10.0.2.15]>
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 18:39:13 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 18:39:13 -0700 (PDT)
To: Hal Finney <hal@rain.org>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Auth Certificates [was: Re: Blinded Identities]

>> >[much cut]

>>assure

>(Sorry about quoting so much, but I liked Steve Schear's succinct problem
>statement.)
>
>I don't see how authorization certificates solve this problem.  How
>would you determine if someone was qualified to receive an authorization
>certificate?  And what would you do to make them stop using the service
>if they abuse it, and to stop them from getting new authorization
>certificates?
>
>Thanks,
>Hal

It seems that one crux of the problem revolves around the CA and its method
of certificate issuance.  A CA which uses biometric data to
reduce/eliminate the chance that an applicant could get several, unrelated,
certificates issued would provide a basis for negative authentication
(similar to a negative credit file).

A one-way function performed, by the client, on their certificate from this
CA would yield a token which unambiguously binds it to a valid certificate
of the CA (and therefore uniquely identifies them) w/o revealing the
certificate itself.

-- Steve

Thread