1996-10-08 - Recent Web site cracks

Header Data

From: pjb@ny.ubs.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 60b83fadb7ec4e34e4f7e22c0700159c5576fcd907088e58167186f4a5c84174
Message ID: <199610081346.JAA09181@sherry.ny.ubs.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 02:29:51 +0800

Raw message

From: pjb@ny.ubs.com
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 02:29:51 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Recent Web site cracks

The recent cracks of the DOJ, CIA and Dole web sites have caused me to think
about just what is going on here.

Do you suppose that these entries were made via the httpd route, maybe via
cgi-bin, or just a straight telnet-type entry to the server?  I don't know
what operating systems were involved with these three systems, or even if it
was the same in all cases.  I expect that there have been other such break-ins
that we have not heard about.

The speed with which the attacks are made, and the completeness of the hack
seems to indicate that someone knows something.

As a long-time Unix Sys Admin, I am aware that most security holes are due
to piss-poor administration, with a few system holes that may be exploited
by the reasonably sophisticated, but I am not aware of any glaring holes in
the httpd code.  I suppose it's  stupid of me to think this, but I would have
though that these three sites in particular, would have cleaned-up their act
in this respect.

I suppose that it is possible that there is a route back, through the browser,
but this doesn't seem very likely, even with a thoroughly hacked, custom browser.

Does anyone have any ideas about these attacks, how and where the entry was
made, which operating systems were involved, etc?

Cheers,

	-paul

Thread