1996-10-07 - “European Union Bank”

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Message Hash: 6b1d18ed34a84fe8ca377d6159163539ac16c0bfefb400a04d10c6a323ab5f53
Message ID: <199610071550.LAA27746@jekyll.piermont.com>
Reply To: <3.0b19.32.19961007110838.00a115a0@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-07 21:02:41 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 05:02:41 +0800

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 05:02:41 +0800
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Subject: "European Union Bank"

Duncan Frissell writes:
> >      in the world, 24 hours a day. A U.S. official said, "The
> >      bank is being investigated for violating U.S. laws with
> >      open solicitations on the Net, which is at best for tax
> >      evasion and at worst for money laundering."
>
> I hate to tell the Feds but the internet is more of an international
> publication than "High Life" (the BA inflight mag) or the BBC World Service
> mag (whatever it's name is these days.
>
> International publications can advertize offshore accounts and investments.

Be that as it may, but I wonder about the whole thing. EUBank's web
server appears to be firmly ensconced in Washington, D.C. -- not
exactly where one would expect their records to be kept, eh?

Perry

Thread