1996-10-02 - Re: How might new GAK be enforced?

Header Data

From: Richard Coleman <coleman@math.gatech.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6b4459e18caf7f19de1102e1d8be1903b8fbc85d0b2dac42bcb867647f8f3d24
Message ID: <199610012106.RAA11318@redwood.skiles.gatech.edu>
Reply To: <v0300780dae77032b2bdd@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-02 01:38:23 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 09:38:23 +0800

Raw message

From: Richard Coleman <coleman@math.gatech.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 09:38:23 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: How might new GAK be enforced?

> (Else what's to stop Giant Corporation from using Non-GAKked software
> within the U.S., which is perfectly legal (under the "voluntary" system),
> but then "happening" to have their foreign branches and customers obtain
> "bootleg" versions at their end? All it takes is a single copy to get out,
> and be duplicated a zillion times. Voila, interoperability, with the only
> "crime" being the first export...which is essentially impossible to stop,
> for so many reasons we mention so often. Conclusion: Government must make
> this very mode illegal, perhaps by making it a conspiracy to thwart the
> export laws....)

I've always wondered why large companies just don't write some type of
standards document for crypto to interoperate, and then have each
foreign branch write (or contract out) their own version.  I don't see how
this violates export laws in any way.

Surely this has to be easier than some of the contortions large companies
are going through now to safeguard communications between branchs in
different countries.

Richard Coleman
coleman@math.gatech.edu

Thread