1996-10-06 - Re: Sun’s GAK position

Header Data

From: Frank Stuart <fstuart@vetmed.auburn.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 761b588c8ac67c56bcc5227180e0ac1bcbdc5a9bf0a6ab40b109bbbfdfcf7321
Message ID: <199610061639.LAA24356@snoopy.vetmed.auburn.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 02:30:24 +0800

Raw message

From: Frank Stuart <fstuart@vetmed.auburn.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 02:30:24 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Sun's GAK position

Bill Stewart (stewarts@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
[...]
>That's not looking for someone to do GAK work at Sun; that's just looking for
>someone to help Sun sell stuff to the Feds.  They've been doing secure
[...]

The two aren't mutually exclusive.  I suspect the government plans to buy
lots and lots of GAK'ed products that come out of this consortium.  Not only
will this sweeten the pot for otherwise reluctant companies, it will also
help make the products the defacto standard.

In any event, the things that caught my attention most were the date
(October 1), and the phrases "Export controls as they apply to encryption
and security products", and "Public policy issues of cryptography and Key
Escrow".

                          | (Douglas) Hofstadter's Law:
                          | It always takes longer than you expect, even
Frank Stuart              | when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Thread