1996-10-10 - Re: [Noise] Re: Missionaries (was: “Mormon Asshole?” re: GAK)

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: camcc@abraxis.com
Message Hash: 7b77ee3f83aa03ef7c73cb0a03ff969d936d35884eed9e9d8a8e06a941e6e5e5
Message ID: <325C6CE7.6096@gte.net>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19961009171834.0068ebb4@smtp1.abraxis.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-10 03:28:30 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 20:28:30 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 20:28:30 -0700 (PDT)
To: camcc@abraxis.com
Subject: Re: [Noise] Re: Missionaries (was: "Mormon Asshole?" re: GAK)

camcc@abraxis.com wrote:
> At 01:04 AM 10/9/96 -0700, you [Paul S. Penrod] wrote:
> :I suggest you [Alan Olsen] RTFM again. It was a commentary on the sad
> :state of scientific practice as germain to today's egomanical
> :pirannah who inhabit the domain of the "scientist". To publish is to
> :exist, and the first rule is "draw your curves, then plot your
> :points." The second is "Thou shalt not critisize your mentor."
> :Save the anti-religion rhetoric for someone who gives a damn.

> Well, Paul, obviously you do. Otherwise why try to justify some thinly
> disguised pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo as "a commentary on the sad
> state of scientific practice."
> As Alan said, "I suggest you take your beliefs to talk.origins."
> BTW, what DOES this have to do with crypto, or privacy, or personal
> freedoms, or MORMONS for that matter?

It has to do with this: That religion is connected here, because people
are connected here.  Religion is the people's way, when they're not
getting precise answers about crypto, to offload their frustration onto
the/a superior being, who has no such limits.

When the best thing you can say about PGP, the Golden Calf of crypto, is
that it "may very well" or "probably will" protect your messages from
scrutiny by the NSA et al, you can always fall back on God when they
come and pick you up to take you to the "family camp", like you've seen
on so many of those TV docudramas.

Thread