1996-10-15 - Re: SPA sues C2, other ISPs and users

Header Data

From: Douglas Barnes <cman@c2.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7e968dadac575dc0fb890cc4671890079cffffb26de3889fce805a86c8b7d50e
Message ID: <2.2.32.19961015002121.00a3476c@mail.c2.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 17:22:28 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Douglas Barnes <cman@c2.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 17:22:28 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: SPA sues C2, other ISPs and users

I just wanted to weigh in on a couple of points that have
been raised with respect to the SPA lawsuit against C2Net:

1) I don't think this is some sort of evil plot by SPA members
   because we hadn't joined or because we're competing with
   some of their members. A lot of their members compete with
   other members and non-members and nothing like this has
   happened before. It's pretty clear that they were oblivous to a
   great many things, including the fact that we're primarily
   a software company these days.

2) As obnoxious as the lawsuit is, we don't miss the humor in
   the fact that we've been grumbling (on-line and off) about
   folks who pirate Stronghold (our commercial, secure version
   of the Apache web server). We really were looking into
   joining the SPA, to see if it would do us any good in dealing
   with this problem.

3) If you run across any mention of this lawsuit in the media,
   either on-line or in print, it would be great if you could
   forward it to me at cman@c2.net, or fax it to me at:
   510 986 8777. I want to be tracking the press coverage
   very closely, and our clipping services takes about 5-10
   days to read and process clippings for us.

Thanks for your help,

Douglas Barnes
VP Sales & Marketing
C2Net