1996-10-11 - Re: What are the flaws with FV payment system?

Header Data

From: nobody@replay.com (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 81861fcb9c57d706aa10d93fa02f8a6c8b346678f2c8115edcf0d55e6f4fc90d
Message ID: <199610110055.CAA20833@basement.replay.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.961010103809.463D-100000@monroe.lib.mi.us>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-11 00:55:45 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 17:55:45 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: nobody@replay.com (Anonymous)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 17:55:45 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: What are the flaws with FV payment system?

Kip DeGraaf <kip@monroe.lib.mi.us> wrote:
> I only received this an hour ago.  I would very much like to attend, but
> can't put my fingers on the detailed analysis of FV's flaws in their
> system, which I would like to bring up in person at this seminar.
>
> Could someone please point me in the right direction?

You can start with http://www.c2.org/nofv/

Basically, if you can get access to someone's email, then you can
defraud the system.  FV protects themselves by holding payments for
90 days before they pay the merchant.  It's an unsecure system, with
no encryption.  FV will accept no responsibility for this, and when
people cheat, the merchant gets screwed.

Thread