1996-10-05 - ABA Likes GAK

Header Data

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8a65036492aff305bae185425a185d67ce248e9782ae96a9b9d6e9ac5c5310b8
Message ID: <199610041740.RAA19910@pipe1.ny2.usa.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 09:53:19 +0800

Raw message

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 09:53:19 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: ABA Likes GAK

   10-03-96 at 19:09 EDT, American Banker

   Banks Like Export Plan for High-Power Encryption

   By Drew Clark

   -----

   "Banks have really taken a leadership role in the
   responsible management of cryptography," said a senior
   Clinton administration official who asked not to be
   named. "Banks are already doing what we want other
   organizations to do: safeguarding their keys and
   providing them, when necessary, to law enforcement."

   "Providing 56-bit encryption with key recovery doesn't
   help us," said Netscape spokeswoman Chris Holton. "The
   government is saying that you can export it but you have
   to provide us with the keys. We feel that is extortion on
   the part of the government."

   "We are making the best of a bad situation," said Scott
   Schnell, vice president of marketing for RSA Data
   Security.

   -----

   Bank technology experts have reacted favorably to the
   Clinton administration's proposal to liberalize the
   development and sale of strong data security tools.

   This week, the government said it would lift export
   restrictions on certain kinds of cryptography, provided
   U.S. companies agree to cooperate with a procedure that
   would give law enforcement officials access to the "keys"
   of such codes, upon presentation of a warrant.

   Banks were heartened by the announcement because many
   view the widely used Data Encryption Standard - a
   low-level form of data scrambling - as inadequate
   protection against the rising computer power of so-called
   hackers.

   Though banks can use a complex 56-bit data encryption key
   for financial transactions, sensitive communications with
   overseas branches are limited to a less powerful 40-bit
   standard.

   Banks hope that a loosening of restrictions in general
   will benefit them, too.

   "This policy announcement is better than anyone
   expected," said Kawika M. Daguio, federal representative
   at the American Bankers Association in Washington. "It is
   gravy for us, but it's the meat and potatoes for the
   hardware and software industries."

   "Banks probably won't be adversely affected," said
   Stewart A. Baker, a partner at Steptoe & Johnson, a
   Washington law firm, "and they will be left pretty much
   where they were before."

   The announcement by Vice President Al Gore said that
   controls over powerful encryption technology would be
   lifted as the government and private sector develop a
   "key recovery" system. (International Business Machines
   Corp. already has stepped forward to head a consortium
   dedicated to creating such a system.)

   Current law forbids the export of computer hardware or
   software that uses cryptographic codes with digital
   "keys" - randomly generated combinations of 0's and 1's -
   longer than 40 bits. The longer the key length, the more
   impenetrable the code.

   For three years, the government has said it would permit
   the general use of more complex cryptography only if the
   companies using it placed their keys in the hands of the
   government or a third party.

   "Key escrow," as it is known in the technical community,
   is needed in order to prosecute people who have stored
   evidence of illegal activity on the hard drive of a
   computer, officials argued.

   But the private sector - banks included - have balked at
   handing over such access to any third party.

   The disagreement gave rise to a compromise system known
   as "key recovery" in which companies would hold their own
   keys but could be required to divulge certain information
   about specific transactions when presented with a court
   order or warrant.

   "What is novel is that it doesn't escrow any keys," said
   Homayoon Tajalli, executive vice president of Trusted
   Information Systems, Glenwood, Md., one of IBM's
   consortium partners.

   "If the government comes and gets this data with a court
   order," explained Mr. Tajalli, "then they take a digital
   lockbox from the third party or parties that hold it, and
   they read the message."

   Kathy Kincaid, director of information technology for
   IBM, said the difference between key escrow and key
   recovery is analogous to the following approach to
   securing a house when its owner goes on vacation: Instead
   of giving a key to two neighbors, the owner gives each
   neighbor half the combination to a lockbox that holds the
   key.

   "You must have both halves and put them together in
   exactly the right sequence," said Ms. Kincaid. "This
   provides protection against a single point of attack."

   Companies participating in development of key recovery
   systems include: Apple Computer Inc., Digital Equipment
   Corp., Groupe Bull, Hewlett-Packard Co., NCR Corp., RSA
   Data Security, Sun Microsystems Inc., Trusted Information
   Systems, and United Parcel Service.

   And a government official said banks may even play a
   role.

   "Banks have really taken a leadership role in the
   responsible management of cryptography," said a senior
   Clinton administration official who asked not to be
   named. "Banks are already doing what we want other
   organizations to do: safeguarding their keys and
   providing them, when necessary, to law enforcement."

   Heidi Kukis, a spokeswoman for Vice President Gore, said:
   "This key recovery system is the proper balance between
   commercial interests and national security."

   But not all agree. Some argue that the key recovery
   system still gives the government too much control over
   information flow.

   "Providing 56-bit encryption with key recovery doesn't
   help us," said Netscape spokeswoman Chris Holton. "The
   government is saying that you can export it but you have
   to provide us with the keys. We feel that is extortion on
   the part of the government."

   "We are making the best of a bad situation," said Scott
   Schnell, vice president of marketing for RSA Data
   Security.

   "The bottom line is that the standard proposed by the
   government is an insubstantial step in the right
   direction," he said. "We want to make sure it is usable
   and prepare for the day that products will be available
   that do not have this key recovery situation."

   The government's announcement came three months after a
   National Research Council report on the role of
   cryptography in an information-oriented society.

   The report encouraged liberalization of government
   standards and questioned the feasibility of the key
   escrow system then favored by government.

   "We raised the issue about the security of key escrow
   systems," said law professor Kenneth W. Dam, chairman of
   the body that prepared the report, "and we said the
   government should work on it."

   "I take it this is an attempt to move in the way of key
   escrow, with the help of industry," said Mr. Dam.

   [End]

Thread