1996-10-07 - Put up or shut up! was Re: legality of wiretapping: a “key” distinction

Header Data

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8f7b5469e250dd8b881377c71e43edb800de265550aef813e568f1026be81c9c
Message ID: <v02130500ae7da84d02e8@[10.0.2.15]>
Raw Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 11:54:31 +0800

Raw message

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 11:54:31 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Put up or shut up! was Re: legality of wiretapping: a "key" distinction

I think those of you who continue to answer the unresearched rants of
amateur lawyers waste your efforts on trying to change the learning habits
of other, hopefully, mature adults.  If it ain't good by now, forget it.

Using, as you say, out-of-the-shower ideas to re-argue settled caselaw are
almost always fruitless.  Since the intents of the ranters are generally
anarchistic, why even involve the law and justice. Even if their ideas have
good philosophical basis there is little hope for the broad changes they
seek in the political or legal landscape (given the powerful and selfish
interests of those inside and outside the beltway) without a great trauma
to the system.  Look at the relatively pitifully accomplishments Jefferson
was able to show for his many years of Republican efforts, and that after
serving two terms as president.

I believe that this is also the case for individuals.  Almost all of us
have great difficulty adopting new behaviors (e.g., dietary, excercise,
change in unhealthy/illegal sexual behavior), even ones thought beneficial,
unless there is great incentive or an experience which is so fundemental
(e.g., near death) that we are forced confront it head on.

My advice to these amateur anarchists is, if they really believe in their
quest,  become professionals and develop and use whatever means (civial
disobedience, crypto, CBW, AP, etc.) they think they require to shock the
system into confronting your demands and see how it plays out.  Otherwise
shut up!

PGP Fingerprint: FE 90 1A 95 9D EA 8D 61  81 2E CC A9 A4 4A FB A9
Snoop Daty Data           | Internet: azur@netcom.com
Grinder                   |
Sacred Cow Meat Co.       |

Just say NO to prescription DRUGS.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for
 the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    -- C.S. Lewis

"Surveillence is ultimately just another form of media, and thus, potential
entertainment."
    -- G. Beato

Thread