1996-10-21 - Re: ABA Conference on Law Enfrocement and Intelligence - Debrief

Header Data

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
To: unicorn@schloss.li
Message Hash: 952a5174c65650dde18e062dda9aca4b56ba946c9199cf950a57d7ebccf05aae
Message ID: <199610210248.DAA00261@server.test.net>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.94.961019135625.19884J-100000@polaris>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-21 17:10:01 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 10:10:01 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 10:10:01 -0700 (PDT)
To: unicorn@schloss.li
Subject: Re: ABA Conference on Law Enfrocement and Intelligence - Debrief

Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li> writes:
> The American Bar Association Standing Committee on Law and
> National Security - Law Enforcement and Intelligence Conference -
> Debrief
>
> [...]
>
> Michael A. Vatis
> Associate Deputy Attorney General
> Office of the Deputy Attorney General
> U.S. Department of Justice
>
> Vatis is a young shining star in Justice, a Gorelick protege and
> likely to be the most dangerous individual to cypherpunks in the
> coming years if he stays with justice.  Vatis understands remailers,
> encryption, PGP, even mentioned "mixmaster" and so forth
> specificlly.  He is sly, knows just when to shut up and is probably
> the front man on the DoJ attempt to attack remailers and anonymous
> communications in general.  He is a real problem for cypherpunks and
> the party is clearly over.

If the DoJ and company are going to be trying to break remailers, I
think it's time someone brushed up the mixmaster alpha code with
forward secrecy to release quality.

Let them at least fight the "real thing".

The current version of mixmaster, which all the mixmasters are using
is 2.0.3.  Lance Cottrell has an alpha version which has direct IP
transport, and DH forward secrecy.  This alpha version I understand
needs debugging, and fixing up.  If you are in the US, you may find it
starting from:

	http://www.obscura.com/crypto.html

My suggestion would be for someone who has access to the alpha version
with forward secrecy, to spend some time getting it to release
quality, and put in the credits thanks to Michael Vatis for
"motivation" :-)

[If anyone knows of a place where the alpha version of the aforementioned
software has found it's way overseas, please forward the URL]

(Needless to say forward secrecy is a big advantage, you can't record
all IP packets out of the remailers, and then use threats (rubber hose
cryptanalsis/threat of expensive litigation) to extract the remailer
keys to decrypt after the fact, and trace messages down the chain.)

Adam