1996-10-26 - Re: pgp3 (was Re: MD5?)

Header Data

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
To: aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk
Message Hash: a3b035d45ca88dfaf81e83873526e5e88ee43c80e62d60672cde173a2022d325
Message ID: <199610251026.LAA01407@server.test.net>
Reply To: <199610242332.AAA00532@server.test.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-26 20:16:54 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 13:16:54 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 13:16:54 -0700 (PDT)
To: aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk
Subject: Re: pgp3 (was Re: MD5?)

I just wrote:

> commercial, but at this point my understanding is that Derek Atkins is
> employed by SGI, and Colin Plumb by PGP Inc.

As someone just pointed out, Derek works at Sun.  (I thought I heard
SGI chipped in too).

> No mention of pgp3 on www.pgp.com, mit; a web search reveals nothing.

An altavista serach found an Internet Draft entitled `PGP Message
Exchange Formats', however this appears to be a re-write of
pgformat.txt which is distributed with PGP, with some comments
explaining expansion directions. eg

:   The  public-key-encryption algorithm  is specified by  the public-key
:   cryptosystem (PKC) number of field (f). The following PKC numbers are
:   currently defined:
:
:      1 - RSA
:      255 - experimental
:
:   More PKC numbers  may be defined   in the future.   An implementation
:   need not support every PKC number.  The implementor must document the
:   PKC numbers understood by an implementation.

The only explicit mention of pgp 3.0 I saw in this document was this
somewhat out of date comment:

:   A new  release of PGP, known as  PGP 3.0, is  anticipated in 1995. To
:   the maximum extent possible, this version will be upwardly compatible
:   with version 2.x. At a minimum, PGP 3.0 will be able to read messages
:   and signatures produced by version 2.x.

Someone suggested to me that Derek posted a draft spec for PGP 3.0.
Anyone know of the whereabouts of this document.  WWW searches aren't
turning anything up for me, other than this:

: To: cypherpunks@toad.com
: From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
: Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 15:55:38 -0700
: Subject: Usenet Conference on Security
:
: Just a few of the highlights:
:
: (1) Ron Rivest speaking on SDSI
: [...]
: (7) Derek Atkins' description of the PGP Library API.

Adam