1996-10-15 - Oregon DMV database online once again…

Header Data

From: Cerridwyn Llewyellyn <ceridwyn@wolfenet.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a8a1e55b6d2abf9842c5d95ecc07012160d61f92eca8f11ad8fafc27167c96e4
Message ID: <2.2.32.19961015091137.006dbb94@gonzo.wolfenet.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 02:13:27 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Cerridwyn Llewyellyn <ceridwyn@wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 02:13:27 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Oregon DMV database online once again...

The Oregon DMV database will once again be searchable on the web, in
a few days, at http://www.notek.com/or-dmv.  Suggestions on what
sorts of privacy-related propaganda should be on the page are welcome
(and encouraged: currently there's really nothing there...)  Also,
looking for a volunteer to write a quick press release we can
send to Oregon media, regarding the reasons behind the page, etc. (I
suck at such things, and would prefer if someone else with a talent
for writing on cypherpunk-type topics would do it.)

A few details, for those who want to know:  the actual databases are
stored on a 486DX/33 (the only machine I could spare for the task..)
running linux 2.0.13 with 8 megs o' RAM.  The search isn't quite as
speedy as Genocide2600's (the previous home of the Web-Searchable dmv
database), but it's reasonably fast.  The license database is indexed
on last name, the plates database is currently indexed on plate number,
but when I can find more harddrive space, it will also be indexed (and
thus searchable) by last name, which is a bit of an expansion on Genocide
2600.

Anyway, all that's really left is a few hours of work tidying up
the cgi/database server code and finishing the actual web page,
which I should get to tomorrow or possibly the next day.  I'll post
a notice when the page is officially up, but in the meantime, please
let me know what type of privacy propaganda/tools/info (if any) would be
appropriate.  Thanks...

//cerridwyn//

Thread