1996-10-01 - Re: Katz on cypherpunks, in HotWired’s Media Rant

Header Data

From: Omegaman <omegaman@bigeasy.com>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: b24a403b69ff8a9f3474231a0b6e2f2c2968327531f5d37e6ef15991feeb606e
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.95.960930224330.497C-100000@jolietjake.com>
Reply To: <v03007800ae75cceb36a2@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-01 06:03:42 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 14:03:42 +0800

Raw message

From: Omegaman <omegaman@bigeasy.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 14:03:42 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Katz on cypherpunks, in HotWired's Media Rant

On Mon, 30 Sep 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> Katz has no understanding of the difference between someone (or some bunch)
> who use a name-password combination called "cypherpunks" with the
> discussions on the _list_ called cypherpunks.

No he does not.   I pointed this out to him in private mail after reading
the text of the "rant" at hotwired.  He says that he makes the distinction a
number of times throughout the article between "the person who logs in
internally" from hotwired " and the "cypherpunks mailing group."

I replied, "no, Jon, you did not...and I suspect that I am not the only
reader of your article who thinks so."

I will be most interested in his reply.

> His comment, "Cypherpunks don't want real confrontations or discussions, or
> they would reveal their identities and make it possible to respond, as most
> flamers do. They are among media's rarest and at the same time most
> easily recognized subspecies: nihilists." shows the same level of
> sophistication as someone accusing Bill Clinton of misdeeds because
> "whitehouse.gov" is used as a name/password for some forum.
>
> Someone this naive (or this disingenous, if he knows better) has no
> business writing for anything about the Net.
>
> Once again, "Wired" and "HotWired" disgrace themselves.
>
> --Tim May

Anyone care to wager that he won't post any sort of correction or addendum
in a later forum?

me

 Omegaman <mailto: omega@bigeasy.com>
 PGP Key fingerprint =  6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2
                        59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63
 Send e-mail with "get key" in the "Subject:" field
 to get a copy of my public key