1996-10-28 - Re: FDA_dis

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: John Young <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: bb75aaf6846d6de1e0ed3ca40de893ca8a5589ea0fab486eafca2d1a8071a663
Message ID: <3.0b19.32.19961028160958.007172f4@panix.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 13:10:49 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 13:10:49 -0800 (PST)
To: John Young <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: FDA_dis

At 11:25 AM 10/28/96 -0500, John Young wrote:
>10-28-96. WaPo:
>
>Dissing Declan's Hotwired slam of the FDA conference on
>regulating Internet advertising and promotion: "Ultimately,
>this debate isn't about speech. It comes down to how much
>regulation we want."
>
>Declan, singe dis negro inquisto, si?

I *loved* this from the Washington Post reporter who showed that he is a
little light on his understanding of the First Amendment too.

"As it has been interpreted by the courts for years, the
 First Amendment doesn't protect lies, and it doesn't
 protect obscenity, and it doesn't prohibit government from
 regulating what's known as 'commercial speech.'"

It does protect most lies.  It does protect some obscenity.  It does
protect quite a lot of commercial speech.

DCF

Thread