1996-10-03 - Re: White House crypto proposal – too little, too late

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: Joe Shea <joeshea@netcom.com>
Message Hash: bc94487d7791d3fc64088ce65fd6520606a200731221c4516a8db1fced596a91
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.961002103027.29327E-100000@well.com>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9610021034.A12604-0100000@netcom17>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-03 15:30:37 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 23:30:37 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 23:30:37 +0800
To: Joe Shea <joeshea@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: White House crypto proposal -- too little, too late

Joe, perhaps you didn't get the point. The fight-censorship-announce
list is for announcements (hence the name), not discussions or
back-and-forth-arguments. It's like Dave Farber's IP list -- I very
rarely include responses to what I send out. Discussions take place on
the discussion list. Do get a clue.

But the broader point is a useful one to make. I'll say it again:
freedom of speech includes the right not to speak. Private controls of
private settings are not the same as state controls of public
settings, which violate the First Amendment. (Read some of Eugene
Volokh's articles about private mailing lists and "censorship.") This
is at least the libertarian view, to which I generally subscribe. I
confess I sometimes have doubts about AOL and smut-blocking software.

Put simply: should the National Coalition Against Censorship be forced
to include off-topic rants in their newsletter? Should TIME magazine
be forced to publish rubbish? Should the American Reporter be forced
to include my rants about universal service?

The truth is that the most valuable publications -- Yale Law Review,
Wall Street Journal -- are the most selective and, by your definition,
the most "censorial." Do you see now why your view is wrong?

-Declan

Thread