1996-10-17 - rival Clipper products

Header Data

From: scrappo.reverb@juno.com (Psuedo Nym)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: be57cc4e151f61e0cb9adc33f9aa3d54cb6f30b08c51b505bfc706d8da45aee3
Message ID: <19961016.162913.7943.0.scrappo.reverb@juno.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 19:47:45 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: scrappo.reverb@juno.com (Psuedo Nym)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 19:47:45 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: rival Clipper products

What somebody needs to do is make a rival for
Clipper products. I propose that somebody with
enough money should have a Clipper-type chip
implementing Triple-DES or whatever developed
and marketed. They should do the same things,
except not be restricted by the government
(obviously this wouldn't be for export) by the means
of using weak crypto. These devices could probably
be marketed to the same audience that Clipper
products are aimed at, i.e. the general unsuspecting
populace. The only problem I could see would be
educating whoever buys into how the government
is pulling the wool over their eyes. I'm sure with
some funding from a major source, or some
donation of time/supplies from a manufacturing
company, it could be pulled off in grand fashion.
Who said we can't play the government's little game?

This along with some "Big Brother Inside" stickers
massively propagated, and it might fly. Any insights?

Thread