1996-10-22 - Re: Prof Shamir arrested

Header Data

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCri_Kaljundi?= <jk@stallion.ee>
To: Alan Olsen <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
Message Hash: cfb50e6756e4dc098f6b6224c35ff74b53fee208ed376fdf0439948e31a75928
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.93.961022163519.16175B-100000@nebula>
Reply To: <3.0b36.32.19961022034515.00e5a308@mail.teleport.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-22 13:42:14 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 06:42:14 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCri_Kaljundi?= <jk@stallion.ee>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 06:42:14 -0700 (PDT)
To: Alan Olsen <alan@ctrl-alt-del.com>
Subject: Re: Prof Shamir arrested

 Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Alan Olsen wrote:

> >Can you tell more of this? There is an Windows disk encryption utility
> >called Teamware Crypto that uses FEAL-8. This program is quite popular in
> >Europe, distributed and made by ICL Data.
>
> The attacks on FEAL are pretty lengthy.  _Applied Cryptography_ 2nd edition
> by Bruce Schneier has a list of attacks on page 311.  The Shamir attack is
> not the one to worry about.  Matsui and Yamagishi have an attack that
> breaks it in 2^15 known plaintexts.

I have the book but unfortunately I gave it to a friend for some time to
read it :)

Anyway I personally use F-Secure Desktop which uses Blowfish and I am
happy with that. Just that I thought the product Teamware Crypto is not as
secure as the marketing materials say.

Jüri Kaljundi                         AS Stallion
jk@stallion.ee                        WWW ja andmeturva teenused
                                      http://www.stallion.ee/

Thread