1996-10-10 - Re: PGP implements Key Recovery today!

Header Data

From: attila <attila@primenet.com>
To: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Message Hash: d81a64492231400aede80c63f3e62d9266321502c316f949ae24d21f05f429f8
Message ID: <199610102056.OAA28387@infowest.com>
Reply To: <199610081636.MAA10922@attrh1.attrh.att.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-10 19:58:58 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 12:58:58 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: attila <attila@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 12:58:58 -0700 (PDT)
To: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: PGP implements Key Recovery today!

        No, this is too simple for the mindless bureaucrats!

        The next thing Al Bore will ask will be for them to be copied
    on every message and the private key stored with government
    trusted (read stooges) key escrow.

        It has been at least 130 years since any federal omnipotent
    'Judge Roy Bean, Law West of Pecos' sack of coal walking on
    water has ever considered the original intent:

            "...it is better than 100 guilty go free,
                than 1 innocent man be convicted."

        Seems to me someones last words were:

            "...give me liberty of give me death."

        However, I will graciously step aside so you can jump first
    from the gallows.  I'll stick around, and be a pain in the arse!

In <199610081636.MAA10922@attrh1.attrh.att.com>, on 10/08/96
   at 09:37 AM, stewarts@ix.netcom.com said:

-.PGP has provided a key recovery option for several years.
-.You can either use the EncryptToSelf option, or use multiple recipients, one
-.of which is your favorite backup service (or yourself,
-.perhaps one of your other keys.)  Works fine, and you can use it to recover
-.the session key when you want.  Keep a backup copy
-.of your private key on a floppy in your safe deposit box,
-.and maybe keep your passphrase on a yellow sticky (:-)
-.and you're all set.

    [snip...>|]

Thread