1996-10-04 - Re: WINDOWS NT ????

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: Petr Snajdr <snajdr@pvt.net>
Message Hash: da1a54c504748ff88b5e4e56de7996e8997aa8fe16e6917f4df954e174a70fe9
Message ID: <199610041241.FAA12482@dfw-ix3.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 00:51:14 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 00:51:14 +0800
To: Petr Snajdr <snajdr@pvt.net>
Subject: Re: WINDOWS NT ????

At 07:47 PM 10/3/96 +1030, you wrote:
>hi,
> is Windows NT secured system ?

Windows NT 3.51 is a real operating system.  It is not as secure
as I would like, but it is much better than Windows 3.1, which was
totally insecure.  It has some good security techniques,
but I don't know how secure the networking is, and networking
is the big technical insecurity on most machines today.
(Well, bad administration is the biggest insecurity on almost all
machines for almost all time.  And physical security is also big.)

Windows 4.x moves the graphics/windowing system into Ring 0,
where the "secure" parts of the kernel are.  Bad.
This means graphics bugs can make the kernel insecure or crash.
I don't trust it, especially because Windows 3.1 crashes all the time
for me, and stupid bugs make Windows 3.1 behave badly for me.
So if they put the window system in the kernel, I don't trust it.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
America's Open Presidential Debate - Beyond Dole and Clinton!
<A href="http://gate.net/~bdcollar/bbe/debate.htm">Tuesday, Oct. 8th 8:00 PM
EDT</a>

Thread