1996-10-29 - Rumours of NSA breakin

Header Data

From: hallam@ai.mit.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: defde67b2fc4c8b719ac1a6023de9ca2fd5d4c33c84f727b7e7eb115736c0bf8
Message ID: <9610291723.AA05462@etna.ai.mit.edu>
Raw Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 09:17:02 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: hallam@ai.mit.edu
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 09:17:02 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Rumours of NSA breakin

Hi,

	I've been hearing rumours of an alledged compromise
of the NSA Web server but no hard evidence. The claim made is
that several Mb of files were downloaded from the server and
posted to the "Internet". I can't see it in sci.crypt or
alt.conspiracy though.

	I am more than a little skeptical of the claim, unless the
files in question were not considered sensitive - and there is
no reason to believe that the NSA would be keeing anything
secret on their Web server. Banks do not keep money stuffed under
mattresses and the NSA does not keep secrets on Internet servers.

	The origin of the rumour may be an "observation" that
the DOJ hack was on the 19th August, the CIA one on the 19th
of September. It is no secret that several sites were watching
out for attacks on the 19th October.

	Has anyone heard anything more than a rumour of this
alledged event?

		Phill

Thread