1996-10-10 - Re: legality of wiretapping: a “key” distinction

Header Data

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Message Hash: e531df0a8a4199ed6969fdbb47219ce312d7da78abf172b7de62ee92f5a368a1
Message ID: <Pine.BSF.3.91.961010181108.12910A-100000@mercury.thepoint.net>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.94.961009160249.26562A-100000@polaris>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-10 22:13:09 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 15:13:09 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 15:13:09 -0700 (PDT)
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Subject: Re: legality of wiretapping: a "key" distinction

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Black Unicorn wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:
> > Unicorn writes:
> >
> > [challenging wiretap laws]
> > >And we seasoned lawyers, three of us last I counted, told you that you
> > >were an idiot for suggesting it.  I guess we hurt your feelings because
> > >you turned around and asked for a "civilized" lawyer.  (Read: one who will
> > >listen to your ranting).  You wanted a legal opinion, you got more than
> > >one. Now go away.
> >
> > look, I was not going to rub this in your face at all, but you don't
> > seem to have a clue about this. the fact that you/others here can't
> > scrounge enough imagination to come up with an attack against wiretap laws
> > based on case law and think such a think is a waste of time
> > is pretty meaningless in your case. I don't think
> > you have an imaginative bone in your body, hence the great vitriol
> > that you unleash upon me whenever I use my own.
>
> Well "Vlad," as the most creative lawyer on the list, it seems it's up
> to you to get us out of this mess we are in.  I'm certainly not biting the
> bait and researching the topic for you because you call me unimaginative.

Given all the members of so-called "Organized Crime" who have been
convicted using wiretaps, we must assume that all of their lawyers were
similarly unimaginative.

Don't tell Don Vito!

> [...]
> laws to get at Clipper.  Same distinction there too.
>
> Law enforcement says "We need this power" attorneys with the Center for
> Democracy and Technology (which by the way, while "Vlad" respects in
> terms of legal prowess, I do not) whine "But they never should have
> gotten wiretap technology in the first place."
>
> You really thing that's a positive argument?  Go for it.  Dedicate your
> life to the subject.  You have all my encouragement.
>
> > >Exactly the reverse is true for a wiretap. To be effective, the subject
> > >must be ignorant of the tap. Weitzner said this
> > >notion of a "secret search" went against a central principle of the Fourth
> > >Amendment, which protects people from
> > >unreasonable search and seizure.
> >
> > whoa, apparently this would be news to Unicorn, who thinks it would be
> > a waste of time to argue against the established legitimacy of wiretapping
> > and considers himself a premiere lawyer-dude.  well, I'll just let Unicorn
> > argue with Weitzner, (whose credentials are rather impressive and I
> > trust more, btw..)  I'd be interested to hear what Weitzner says,
> > Uni...
>
> I won't be talking to Weitzner obviously.  It a losing man's argument.
> "We wouldn't be in the mess we are in now if the Supreme Court hadn't
> gelded the 4th amendment in the early years of its development."
>
> Good luck.
>
> If Weitzner's credentials are so impressive, why isn't he in private
> practice where the big money and influence are?  That's where Stewart
> Baker is.  That's where Gorelick is heading.  That's where Freeh is
> headed, and it's what Vatis will be up to in 3 years time.
>
> > so what we have here is a very knowledgeable lawyer who has helped
> > out EFF argue that wiretaps are unconstitutional based on the precise
> > aspect that I was focusing on in a post that Unicorn flamed me for:
> > that they are secret, unknown to the suspect,
> > and that this thereby might constitute an "unreasonable"
> > search and seizure. I don't claim to have originated this of course, but
> > I was emphasizing it in my post, and Unicorn objected.
>
> Then it seems you should take the discussion to the great legal mind of
> our times, Weitzner, rather than waste our time and bandwidth with it.
>
> > reading what Weitzner wrote, it is not inconceivable to imagine
> > him having the position that wiretaps in their present form might
> > not survive a court challenge, i.e. it would at least not be
> > a waste of time to mount such a case, as Unicorn belligerently
> > bellows above is obvious to anyone with a smidgeon of legal
> > background..
>
> So call him and foster such a challenge "Vlad."
>
> I'm anxious to hear about your progress.
>
> Oh, speaking of which, what happened to your super-clever ISP encrypts
> every peices of mail that comes in idea?  I don't see it mentioned here.
>
> --
> I hate lightning - finger for public key - Vote Monarchist

Thread