1996-10-28 - RE: tcmay in favour of redistribution of wealth? NFW/ROTFL

Header Data

From: jbugden@smtplink.alis.ca
To: attila@primenet.com
Message Hash: e9f43fb9c82f5c60d7e5b66eddb4d1917fbe70f0866d9da20f5fb0ac5fef5823
Message ID: <9609288465.AA846523847@smtplink.alis.ca>
Raw Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 06:32:46 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jbugden@smtplink.alis.ca
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 06:32:46 -0800 (PST)
To: attila@primenet.com
Subject: RE: tcmay in favour of redistribution of wealth? NFW/ROTFL

attila@primenet.com wrote:
>et tu, Brute?  I thought I was the only one who deliberately
>stiffed the United Way,

I treated it as a generic example, not a specific one. For the record, I have
never donated to the United Way either.

>Tim redistributing the wealth?!?  I'll be ROTFL for days
>over the "insult."

>Come on, James, get with the program.

I liked Zaid Hassan's response better. In general, I try not to "get with the
program" (c.f. Two Roads Diverged in a Yellow Wood" by Robert Frost). But in
spite of my best efforts, I still find myself in a well defined demographic
group. ;-)

>in Canada, you call [redistribution of wealth] National Health
>Services which supposedly provides cradle to the grave
>social services (which is bankrupting Canada).

In spite of these services the spread between Canadian and U.S. Bonds is in
favour of Canada out as far as ten years. Interest rates this morning for 90 Day
T-Bills: Canada 3.23%; U.S. 5.02%.
Remember: correlation is not causation.

>=There is naivete and then there is complicity.
>=jbugden@alis.com

>so where do you draw the line?

Aye, there's the rub. So far I haven't *explicitly* drawn one. And the line I
may draw now is probably different from the line I might have drawn 5 years ago
or 5 years from now. Ambiguity I can accept, its ambivalence, apathy and
agnosticism that annoy me more.

Tim's occasional combination of justifiable apathy tends to be the best
combination to trigger a response.

Ciao,
James

The rules of the game: learn everything, read everything, inquire into
everything... When two texts, or two assertions, or perhaps two ideas are in
contradiction, be ready to reconcile them rather than cancel one by the other;
regard them as two different facets, or two successive stages, of the same
reality, a reality convincingly human just because it is complex.
Marguerite Yourcenar quoted in Complexification by John L. Casti.

Les regles du jeu: tout apprendre, tout lire, s'informer de tout... Lorsque deux
textes, deux affirmations, deux idees s'opposent, se plaire a les concilier
plutot qu'a les annuler l'un par l'autre; voir en eux deux facettes differentes,
deux etats successifs du meme fait, une realite convaincante parce qu'elle est
complexe, humaine parce qu'elle est multiple.
Margueite Yourcenar, Memoires d'Hadrien

Thread