1996-10-08 - Re: Recent Web site cracks

Header Data

From: pjb@ny.ubs.com
To: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Message Hash: f21a4b201866083d602cc5edafe3f02d5c5a21afc587841bd125241648b4b414
Message ID: <199610081746.NAA09256@sherry.ny.ubs.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 07:29:03 +0800

Raw message

From: pjb@ny.ubs.com
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 07:29:03 +0800
To: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Recent Web site cracks

yes, i heard that about 50 microseconds after i posted.
another thing that i have been thinking is that both of these cracks
were inside jobs, which would explain any number of things.

	-paul

> From stewarts@ix.netcom.com Tue Oct  8 12:36:57 1996
> From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
> Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 09:37:23 -0700
> To: pjb@ny.ubs.com
> Subject: Re: Recent Web site cracks
> Cc: cypherpunks@toad.com
>
> At 09:46 AM 10/8/96 -0400, pjb@ny.ubs.com wrote:
> >The recent cracks of the DOJ, CIA and Dole web sites have caused me to think
> >about just what is going on here.
> >
> >Do you suppose that these entries were made via the httpd route, maybe via
> >cgi-bin, or just a straight telnet-type entry to the server?  I don't know
> >what operating systems were involved with these three systems, or even if
>
> The DOJ and CIA sites were actually cracked; don't know the mechanisms.
> The dole-kemp96.com and dole-kemp96.org domains were spoofs - they
> have similar names to the real site, and people reach them by accident
> or by hearing about them.  According to today's San Jose Mercury News,
> the web designer who registered them did so just before Dole announced
> Kemp as his VP, and tried to sell his design services to the campaign.
> They didn't buy it, and the names were sitting around with nothing
> better to do anyway, so he decided to have a good time with them.
> Supposedly he's gotten about 40,000 hits and the "real" site got 1,000,000.
>

> #			Thanks;  Bill
> # Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
> # You can get PGP outside the US at ftp.ox.ac.uk
>   Imagine if three million people voted for somebody they _knew_,
>   and the politicians had to count them all.

Thread