1996-10-04 - Re: How to fight GAK by obeying the law

Header Data

From: Mike McNally <m5@tivoli.com>
To: Ernest Hua <hua@chromatic.com>
Message Hash: f7c2d9b36c1f56a2b899f0db055dc4f09a7b3ac07b8dc05f49ae652f3fd7a0a9
Message ID: <32550ACC.1894@tivoli.com>
Reply To: <199610040457.VAA25485@server1.chromatic.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-10-04 17:25:20 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 01:25:20 +0800

Raw message

From: Mike McNally <m5@tivoli.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 01:25:20 +0800
To: Ernest Hua <hua@chromatic.com>
Subject: Re: How to fight GAK by obeying the law

Ernest Hua wrote:

> First thing we definitely need is a way to determine with fairly good
> accuracy, whether a host is in the U.S.

I really don't see how that's possible, given the possibility of me
taking my laptop to Ecuador, dialing into a stateside ISP, and being
issued an IP address in the ISP's domain.  In other words, anything
that bases a decision on host location by inference on the domain
will inherently be rooted in the notion that hosts in that domain are
stuck to the ground "nearby".

Mike M Nally * IBM % Tivoli * Austin TX  * How quickly we forget that
mailto:m5@tivoli.com mailto:m101@io.com  * "deer processing" and "data
http://www.io.com/~m101/                 * processing" are different!

Thread