1996-11-07 - Re: Is there a Win PGP?

Header Data

From: “William H. Geiger III” <whgiii@amaranth.com>
To: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Message Hash: 06b18cd119b47010f4aa3cef3ab7d17d222f8ca7b811dfe8311379e80d49533d
Message ID: <199611071228.GAA22584@mailhub.amaranth.com>
Reply To: <1.5.4.32.19961107072438.00dad0cc@popd.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-07 11:16:12 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 03:16:12 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@amaranth.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 03:16:12 -0800 (PST)
To: stewarts@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Is there a Win PGP?

In <1.5.4.32.19961107072438.00dad0cc@popd.ix.netcom.com>, on 11/06/96 at 11:24 PM,
   stewarts@ix.netcom.com said:

>For commercial applications,
>you probably also need ViaCrypt anyway.  It was a nice product before they added Key
>Escrow support.  Now that Phil has bought them, they'll presumably return to
>political correctness on that issue.

Hmmm I don't think they actually had a Key Escrow Support. My understanding was that
the user could create a master key that could be used to decrypt messages from the
other keys. This was done in responce to the needs of some of their corprate users
that needed a way to decrypt company info. It could be quite devistating if a vip for
company x encrypted vital corporate files and then quit/fired/died and those file
were nolonger able to be retreived.

I am not sure exactly how they had this mechanism set up but I am pretty sure this
was somthing the user had to actively set up as aposed to somthing done automatically
with out the user's knowledge.

I can see how this could be abused though for a GAK system though I never did see
anything from ViaCrypt that they supported any of the Clipper/GAK crap from our
government.

Does anyone know if you can purchace a commercial license from ViaCrypt/PGP Inc. but
use the standard PGP for commercial purposes?

William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii
Geiger Consulting    WebExplorer & Java Enhanced!!!
Cooking With Warp 4.0

Author of PGPMR2 - PGP Front End for MR/2 Ice

Look for MR/2 Tips & Rexx Scripts
Get Work Place Shell for Windows!!

Finger whgiii@amaranth.com for PGP Key and other info

*MR/2 ICE: The best way to accelerate Windows is at escape velocity.

Thread