1996-11-29 - RE: Your Freudian slip is showing

Header Data

From: jbugden@smtplink.alis.ca
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 073467fc8bda6df8e0dad4cb7c67a5004c98da353412075d1ddfce804b81ec04
Message ID: <9610298492.AA849288115@smtplink.alis.ca>
Raw Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 06:22:19 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jbugden@smtplink.alis.ca
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 06:22:19 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: Your Freudian slip is showing

Bovine Remailer <haystack@cow.net> wrote:
>On Thu, 28 Nov 1996 jbugden@smtplink.alis.ca wrote:
>
>> Another anecdotal example is in the opening chapters of "Surely You're
Joking,
>> Mr. Feynman" by Richard Feynman, the late Caltech professor and general bon
>> vivant. He describes how his mother introduced a doctor, a general and a
>> professor with the same respectful tones indicating to him that a career in
>> academia was as highly valued as any other high position in society.
>
>Your lower middle class slip is showing.

Damn right! Everything I have I earned myself. I'm not some pampered child of
rich parents. My God, when I think of what my father went through when he was
growing up and what he endured to feed our family, I'm amazed that he didn't
drop dead in his tracks.

The fact that my granfather was a well respected municipal politician didn't
insulate them from the effects of the depression. When my father was young he
had to walk almost four miles to and from school, and it was uphill both ways.
Then when he got home he had to chop wood with a hammer. Of course he could have
used an axe, but it was usually dark by this time - they couldn't afford lights
- and he found that a miss with the hammer was less likely to cause severe leg
trauma.

After getting his hand crushed in a printing press as a young man and later,
after being layed off after 26 years of hard toil and loyal effort, he wasn't
bitter when he was forced to retired on a pension of $650 per year. He was proud
to have worked hard all his life and succeeded in his own small but not
completely insignificant way.

Look where I'm pointing, not at what I'm pointing with.

James

Thread