1996-11-04 - Re: Censorship on cypherpunks

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <rcgraves@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0a23f18ba31411b9b16d2b14fb4fd4f81f63742a5d616fd77298878e85b30fdc
Message ID: <199611042242.RAA05013@spirit.hks.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 14:45:03 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <rcgraves@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 14:45:03 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Censorship on cypherpunks

Geez, the traffic has quadrupled, with most of it about Vulis. Get over
it already!

And so, just to add to the garbage, here's my two cents. :-)

Declan McCullagh wrote:

> Libertarianism is not incompatible with strict regulations, as long as
> the rules violate nobody's rights.

Now, there's an Orwellian statement if ever there was one.

OF COURSE Vulis's "rights" were violated. The question is, so what? The
decision was neither arbitrary nor capricious. I find the rational
balancing of rights and responsibilities to be less wrong than defining
away your opponent's rights.

Since AFAIK there was no precedent for kicking Vulis off, and in fact
cpunks has long prided itself on absolute anarchy (especially after the
victory of the Tim May [neutral term for rant] factions over the
Perrygram faction), there is a "rights" issue. I think cpunks broke an
implied contract guaranteeing Vulis absolute rant rights. But I also
think that that's OK.

It's ironic that you're making this argument while a piece from you
making the opposite argument is still on the news stands. My response to
your half of the Internet Underground article can be found on Usenet,
but I think the best summary of my position came in my response to the
contrary point of view -- concurring in your judgement, but disagreeing
with your reasoning.

- From <53i4d5$skm@Networking.Stanford.EDU>:

|>FLAMETHROWER
|>By Solveig Bernstein (sberns@cato.org)
|>
|>The decision to remain silent is an act of conscience, just like the
|>decision to speak. So the view that acts of "private censorship"
|>violate rights of free speech is incoherent. If an online service
|>provider ousts a Web site that posts explicit messages about sex, in
|>violation of the terms of their service contract, or a non-profit
|>organization persuades some Internet Service Providers to refuse to
|>host "Holocaust Revisionist" web sites, these decisions do not violate
|>rights of free speech.
|
|I agree, up to a point. The only "right" of free speech is the right to
|be free from force and threats of force based on the content of speech.
|As publishers, librarians, archivists, and access providers, though, we
|have a *duty* to society to tolerate ideas we despise. But this duty
|comes from the public's right to know and from the kind of people we
|are, not from the "rights" of the speakers.
|
|Anyone who claims to be a content-neutral ISP, a librarian, or an
|unbiased source of news who suppresses things she doesn't like is a
|*LIAR AND A FRAUD* because she is giving her audience a dishonest,
|distorted view of the world. Protests against such capricious exercises
|of editorial power are appropriate and are necessary, but they should
|be viewed as attacks on the character of the editor, not defenses of
|the human rights of the suppressed.

In this case, I think any fair investigation of the facts of the matter
would clearly demonstrate that Gilmore was right to kick Vulis off, and
that he was neither acting capriciously nor removing any substantive
content. I do believe, though, that that's an investigation we must be
prepared to accept (not that I think anyone's seriously going to ask for
one, given the relative reputations of the parties involved). Granting
the cpunks owner absolute property rights over the content of messages
on the list, though, as you do, while strictly correct, is extremely
dangerous because it gives license to all kinds of distoritions, lies,
and fraud. The right of "the public" to inquire and respond must be
respected.

And it has been, as all these useless threads show.

- -rich
 owner-fight-censorship-discuss@c2.net
- ---
signature and forwarded.]