1996-11-16 - RE: ideal secure personal computer system

Header Data

From: John Fricker <jfricker@vertexgroup.com>
To: frantz@netcom.com
Message Hash: 0a6baebf1b9f762c1da317efc811f9fc5c64a957e7853ecb1f1f8d9ce0c813c1
Message ID: <19961116205006455.AAA175@dev.vertexgroup.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 12:50:45 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: John Fricker <jfricker@vertexgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 1996 12:50:45 -0800 (PST)
To: frantz@netcom.com
Subject: RE: ideal secure personal computer system

>Igor Chudov @ home (ichudov@algebra.com) said something about Re: ideal secure personal computer system on or about 11/16/96 7:41 AM

>Bill Frantz wrote:
>> Protection against strangers walking up to your machine and using it is
>> nice, and easy to do.  Protection against viruses which install Trojan
>> horses in your system would also be nice, but is very hard to do in systems
>> where programs run with all the privileges of their users.  Examples
>> include (in alpha order): DOS, MacOS, Unix, and Windows (including NT).
>
>I wonder what are the operating systems where programs may be run with
>_less_ privileges than the user who starts them? Is VMS one of such
>systems?
>
>thanks
>
>	- Igor.
>End of message

In WinNT a program may impersonate a user such as Guest. Also, trojan horses are ineffective in NT as typical users do not have write permission to system binaries.

--j
| John Fricker (jfricker@vertexgroup.com)
| -random notes-
| My PGP public key is available by sending mail with subject "send pgp key".
| www.Program.com is a good programmer web site.

Thread